Friday, April 29, 2011

Family Fun: Getting kids to try food



When kids are really little, we try to entice them with airplane spoons and Disney plates, but as they graduate to real flatware and the regular dishes, we sometimes lose the sense of fun.

One way I got my kids to try new goods was to buy interesting tableware. I got soup spoons in Chinatown for about $1 each, and they eagerly spooned up vegetarian Asian soups.

I have a lot of different chopsticks, both the smaller, thinner Japanese kind, and the thicker Chinese chopsticks, for stir-fries and sushi. I also bought different chopstick rests, to make the meals fun.

Not for the kids
Adults deserve a little fun, too, and I recently went to an event where party planner Cathy Riva made great cocktails even more special by rimming the glasses in colored sugar.

Because I like things less sweet, I made these at home with a mixture of sea salt and colored sugar.

Pear Ginger Fizz
1 part Sauza Silver Tequila
2tsp ginger liqueur
1 part pear juice
Top with champagne

Directions:
Wet champagne flute and dip into colored sugar

Shake and strain tequila, ginger liqueur, and pear juice into the glass and top with champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment