Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fitness Challenge: Day 70


If you are a runner and traveling to Philadelphia, one of the things you will want to do is run up the steps at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. These steps, made famous by Sylvester Stallone in "Rocky," lead up to one of the great art museums in country, with paintings, sculpture, textiles and costumes.

And a statue of Rocky, where every visitor with a smartphone poses.

I ran here, sans iPhone, from my hotel all the way at the other end of the city. Philadelphia is a rather small city, and residents tout its walkability, but from the Sheraton Society Hill nearly at Penn's Landing to the museum is 2.7 miles each way.

But those grand stairs inspire you. I sang the theme from "Rocky" to myself as I sprinted up and down the steps, then slogged my way back to the hotel.

On the way, I sang "The Streets of Philadelphia" since I had just seen the Bruce Springsteen exhibit at the National Constitution Center.

If you are traveling with teens, plan another trip to the museum for Art After 5, on Friday evenings. The museum is open late, with cocktails and food, plus music and dance performances. There are also free guided tours of the museum, and select galleries are open.

1 comment: