Monday, February 11, 2013

Fitness Challenge: FlyBarre


In an old joke, a man says to a doctor, “Please help me, I can only lift my arms this high.”
“How high could you lift them before?” the doctor asks.

The man lifts his arms higher. “This high.”

That’s how I feel after my first FlyBarre class, a body sculpting complement to Flywheel spin class. Right now, only the flagship Flatiron studio offers barre classes in NYC.

The class is similar to Physique 57 and Exhale Spa core classes – you use light weights, a squishy ball, and resistance bands.

Unlike the other studios, though, Fly Barre changes its routines monthly, so you don’t take the same class over & over.

You can exercise in socks or barefoot, and either way you get a great workout that targets every muscle group in just 45 minutes. There is also a 60 minute class. While there is no cardio aspect to the class (for a cardio workout, you need to also take a spin class) you feel you’ve exhausted every muscle.
I loved the soft mats, and the abs exercises, where we hooked our feet under the bar, were among the most challenging I’ve ever encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment