Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Overnight Oats: My Vegan Breakfast Obsession

Vegan 'yogurt'

As I start training again for the NYC marathon, I have been carefully considering my breakfast options. I like to go on training runs an hour after I eat, and I need protein. My usual fuel before a race is a peanut butter sandwich, with natural peanut butter on whole wheat toast, but that takes a little longer to longer to digest.

I also found that cutting out dairy helped me avoid stomach distress last year. So I started making overnight oats with almond milk and almond or soy 'yogurt.' The faux yogurts don't taste great on their own, but mixed with everything else, it's fine.

Overnight oats became my obsession recently, since it's too hot for oatmeal. I soak oats with liquid and maybe some goji berries. I leave it covered in fridge and add fresh fruit the next day. The oats become creamy, almost like rice pudding. And it it more filling than just having yogurt and fruit.

You can also add a bit of peanut butter to boost the protein.

With blueberries and strawberries, you can have a patriotic red white and blue vegan breakfast.

Overnight Oats recipe

1/3 C rolled oats
1/3 C liquid: skim milk, or almond milk if vegan
1/3  C yogurt: plain yogurt, or soy yogurt if vegan
1 T goji berries, optional
1 T natural peanut butter, optional
1/3 C fresh fruit

Mix the oats with milk and yogurt, and goji berries and peanut butter, if using. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, top with fresh fruit.

Serves one.

No comments:

Post a Comment