Tuesday, August 29, 2017

GaGa for Donuts? Where to go in Brooklyn


The PB & yuzu from Du's Donuts

Do you drive hours out of the way for the reward of hot donuts? Du's Donuts are for you.

Just Du It

I have to confess: donuts are not my weakness. I enjoy them, just not passionately. That being said, I was happy to arrange a bike ride around checking out the latest donut shop in Brooklyn. Du's Donuts, from the genius behind wd-50, is a new shop at the William Vale hotel in Williamsburg.

Let them eat cake

Du's Donuts are the cake variety, and the shop has just 8 flavors daily. We sampled the Mexican hot chocolate, which had a hint of cinnamon, but not heat. It was delicious. We also packed a peanut butter yuzu one in my bike bag and it made the trip home even wen we rode another 26 miles with it.

The entrance to Du's Donuts
I loved the unusual flavor of the yuzu with the peanut butter.

For the donut averse

Watch the donuts being made
Wylie Dufresne, the owner, loves an egg and cheese sandwich, so that's the only other food available right now. I'll have to return for this; it was a bit much to eat along with a donut, when we'd only ridden 6 or 7 miles to start.

Coffee and more

The spare interior 
Coffee at Du's comes from Brooklyn Roasting Company, whose flagship shop used to be on the bike path from Dumbo to Williamsburg. There's a Brooklyn Roasting Company location still open in Dumbo that served donuts from Dough. Though that may have changed with this donut (or doughnut) partnership.

Reflecting Wylie's Rhode Island roots, Du's also serves coffee milk, a chocolate milk variation made with - duh - coffee flavor instead. My sister when to Brown, so I'm familiar with this and wanted to try it. But Du's coffee milk is pre-mixed with whole milk, which is a bit rich. Plus I'm going dairy free during marathon training, so I only drink plant-based 'milks.'

You can watch the donuts being made from inside or outside the cafe.

Note: Du's Donuts does not accept cash.


No comments:

Post a Comment