Thursday, November 30, 2017

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies: Using Up Homemade Applesauce



Vegan chocolate chip cookies


Raw dough
Although a bit of high fat butter can be exquisite on just baked bread, I don't really like butter. So the admonitions to avoid raw dough when I was a kid (raw eggs) and now (raw flour) didn't really affect me. I was unlikely to snag a glob of buttery raw dough. Once baked into chocolate chips, all bets were off.


Ready for the oven

Why not make vegan cookies?

But with a glut of homemade applesauce in my refrigerator (so many upstate New York hiking trips) I needed to bake. I figured the applesauce could substitute for eggs. So I decided to go whole hog, as it were, and eliminate the butter, too. I used coconut oil and made vegan chocolate chip cookies that were every bit as decadent as a butter and egg version.


As a bonus, I cleared up some room in the freezer.


Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 C coconut oil
1 C sugar
1 C unsweetened applesauce, preferably homemade
2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt
1 C chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375ยบ F and line baking sheets with silpat.

Cream coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the applesauce and mix to incorporate.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to the mixture and mix until just incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonfuls about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yield: 2 dozen


No comments:

Post a Comment